What should we do before and after flood?
Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan. Avoid building in a floodplain unless you elevate and reinforce your home. Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel in your home if you live in an area that has a high flood risk.
What should we do during a flood?
If there is any possibility of a flash flood, move immediately to higher ground. Do not wait for instructions to move. Be aware of streams, drainage channels, canyons, and ot her areas known to flood suddenly. Flash floods can occur in these areas with or without such typical warnings as rain clouds or heavy rain.
What to do when there’s a flood in the Philippines?
DURING THE FLOOD
- Avoid areas subject to sudden flooding.
- Do not attempt to cross rivers of flowing streams where water is above the knee.
- Beware of water-covered roads and bridges.
- Avoid unnecessary exposure to the elements.
- Do not go swimming or boating in swollen rivers.
- Eat only well-cooked food.
What are five main points you should do to prepare for flooding?
What to do before a flood
- Get flood insurance. Most homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. …
- Know your flood risk. Look up your address in the Flood Map Service Center to learn if you live, work, or travel in areas that are prone to flooding.
- Take a household inventory. …
- Store important documents.
How can we prepare for a flood in the Philippines?
- Switch off any electrical supplies at the main switch before the waters get too high. …
- Move to higher ground immediately and wait until safe.
- Stay away from floodwater. …
- If you have no choice but to wade through water, select an area of still water and use a stick to feel for firm ground where you can walk.
What do you do after a flood?
Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Move to higher ground or a higher floor.
- Stay where you are.
How do you prepare your house for a flood?
How Can I Prepare My Home for a Flood?
- Elevate Electrical Components. …
- Waterproof Your Basement. …
- Pay Attention to Flood Alerts. …
- Move Furniture and Other Valuables to a Safe Place. …
- Pack an Emergency Kit. …
- Purchase Flood Insurance.
What happens during a flood?
Flooding is an overflowing of water onto land that is normally dry. … They also occur when water fills normally dry creeks or streams or enough water accumulates for streams to overtop their banks, causing rapid rises of water in a short amount of time.
What should be done before during and after typhoon?
Listen to weather updates and advisories. Keep watch for warnings and plans regarding evacuation in your community. Check your house’s condition and make necessary repairs. Keep your typhoon kit in an area where you can easily get it in case of emergency.
How do you prepare for a flash flood?
Prepare your home for a flash flood by:
- Bringing indoors or securing all outdoor furniture.
- Moving important items out the lowest areas of the home to avoid water damage.
- Unplugging electrical appliances.
- If authorities recommend, turning off the home’s main electricity and gas.
- Having a flood emergency kit ready.